Monday, November 26, 2012

Organizing Nausea

I am in the process of working on the final stages of the website for organizing the manual labor company I work for part-time.  Even as I type this now, I am nauseated.  It seems that I am having difficulty completing my project, without assistance from James.

I think all of this stems form the discussion I had with Thomas about the organizing.  Thomas is in the same manual labor industry as I am, but he is not part of the union or the company I want to organize.  Being a very smart man, he gave his opinion of what will happen if I choose to continue.  He said two important things.

First, he said that a group of people never went to the owners of the company to voice their grievances, so trying to organize them would be a professional bitch slap.  Then, he said that the company would go under in a few years, if they had to pay the additional money for benefits that would be bargained for if organized.

When I discussed those points with James & Joanne, James said the bargaining would take into account how much in overhead the company could afford.  Both of them said that individually people had gone to the owners to tell them their thoughts.  In addition, they may have thought they would lost hours if they tried that now, using the word "organizing" in the conversation.

So with the opinions of others in my ear, I am taking a deep breath & continuing.

No comments:

Post a Comment