Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I either know everything or nothing.

My 16-year-old daughter, Virginia, & I have a relationship filled with lots of communication.  Sometimes I wish it weren't so.  Yesterday, after spending two nights with one of her friends, she told me she left the friend's home for a few hours to hotbox with a couple of guys in car.  

You know you are old, when you have to look up definitions in the Urban Dictionary:  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hotbox.  Obviously, I was not happy.  What got me most, beyond the illegal drug use, is that she was not in a safe place.  She mentioned smoking with two guys she trusted, but "going in & out of it".  I asked her "What if someone else got into the car with you, while you were out of it & then proceeded to do things to you, against your consent?"  She looked at me blankly.  I then said, "If anyone ever did anything to you, including rape, I would go after them, until someone was dead.  However, in the back of my mind, I would think, 'my child is an idiot for setting herself up' ".  More blank stares.

What finally got to her was the next morning, when I told her I was deeply disappointed.  She began to cry.  Will she smoke pot again?  Probably.  Will she maybe think about her surroundings a bit more?  Probably.

When I was holding my beautiful baby girl for the 1st time, I was thinking about diapers, pink, & bubbles, not "HOTBOXING!?!?"



"Hotboxing, Mommy?"

No comments:

Post a Comment