Saturday, March 23, 2013

Happy Birthday to me!

While heading to the grocery store for our weekly food run, I was teasing my 16-year-old daughter, Virginia, that she did not give me a birthday present this year, when in the past I wouldn't have been able to use my desk, because of all the homemade cards she would have created & placed on it for my pleasure.

When we arrived at the store, she asked me to stay in the car & wanted to go in alone.  Puzzled, I asked her why, knowing something was not quite right.  She said "Just trust me" & so I did, handing her the $50 for her groceries.

Ten minutes later, while I was trying to catch a nap in the car, she reappeared with a potted lily & two stuffed animals, saying "Happy Birthday"!  What was more astonishing was she spent half of her food money on the gifts for me, without a moment of regret.

There are moments I want to strangle my teenage daughter.  However, I hold off, hoping that one of these precious moments will appear.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment